|This gear train uses seven 40-tooth-to-8-tooth pairings, and nine 36-tooth-to|
12-tooth pairings, with a few 24-tooth gears in there for some reason.
- The gear ratio is one billion, five hundred thirty seven million, seven hundred thirty four thousand, three hundred seventy five to one, or 1,537,734,375 to 1.
- When driven by a Lego RC motor, which can operate at 3000 RPM, it would take two years and four months nonstop to finish one rotation of the output.
- When driven by a Lego RC motor, the output has 20 million, 755 thousand, 396.46 foot pounds of torque, which approximately equals 27,131 Chevy Silverados. With that kind of power, one could easily snap the Empire State Building in half. (It would take decades, though).
- When driven by a Lego NXT motor, it takes an abysmal twenty five years to complete a rotation, but has nine times as much torque as the RC motor.
- Under no circumstances would you need to use this. EVER.
Other Teacher: "I wrote this great new assignment to make students calculate gear ratios!"
My Teacher: "I have a student who does that for fun, except REALLY OVERKILL."
I think he almost passed out when I showed him all the numbers I calculated. In spirit of this, I encourage everyone to build something completely useless, as time well wasted is not wasted at all.